Hood County Texas Genealogical Society
Information is lacking as to who conducted the first religious services in the area, but during the year 1870 a Baptist Church was organized in what was called Elm Flat, near the place where the power plant is now located on Lake Granbury. Since Elder J.N. Chandler is credited with helping to start every Baptist church in Hood County between the Civil War and 1900, it is a safe guess that he had a part in it. Evidence indicates that the new church was called Shady Grove Baptist Church from the beginning. In 1885 this church was moved to the Ras Umphress place near the junction of F.M. 2425 and Mitchell Bend Road, and a small house was erected as a meeting place.
Shortly after the turn of the century, the members of the Shady Grove Church saw a thriving village springing up on the corner north of them with stores, shops, a school, Methodist Church and a post office called Mambrino after the name of a favorite race horse. The members of Shady Grove Church realized that this area was to be the central meeting place and decided to move their church to the center. A two-story building was built with the upper story being used by the Masonic Lodge. However, when the lodge disbanded in 1936 the upper story was removed.
It is interesting to note the cooperation between the Methodists and Baptists of this community. When the churches had a revival both would participate. When a need for a water supply was agreed upon, both shared a well drilled on the property line between them. Both churches built tabernacles in 1909. A fire in the home of one of the members destroyed all the early records in the 1930's. However, some of the members remember a baptismal service in 1909 when Pastor M.M. Robinett baptized 55 people.
After the move to the present location the church was known as the Mambrino Church, but it was not until 1949 that the name was officially changed from Shady Grove to Mambrino. In 1950 four Sunday School rooms were added on the east end of the building. In 1968 two restrooms and a nursery were added, and in 1975 a fellowship hall, including a kitchen and more restrooms, was added to the south side of the church.
Mambrino Baptist Church has gathered together in this area for nearly 150 years in order to worship God, preach the gospel, build one another up, and serve others. We are thankful for God's grace that keeps and sustains this church.
Information furnished by Gerald Wessels, Jr. pastor during the early 1980's.
Paluxy Baptist Association Centennial Story
1880 - 1980