Hood County Texas Genealogical Society
Information is lacking as to who conducted the first religious services in the area, but during the year 1870 a Baptist Church was organized in what was called Elm Flat, near the place where the power plant is now located on Lake Granbury. Since Elder J.N. Chandler is credited with helping to start every Baptist church in Hood County between the Civil War and 1900, it is a safe guess that he had a part in it. Evidence indicates that the new church was called Shady Grove Baptist Church from the beginning. In 1885 this church was moved to the Ras Umphress place near the junction of F.M. 2425 and Mitchell Bend Road, and a small house was erected as a meeting place.